AW: [SIGCIS-Members] 17th-19th c. exhibitions of computers

Ulf Hashagen u.hashagen at deutsches-museum.de
Wed Mar 19 01:37:58 PDT 2008

Dear Bernard,

you can find some information about the history of calculator exhibitions in
Germany (as well as 1893 at the World exhibition in Chicago in the US) in my
book “Walther von Dyck (1856-1934). Mathematik, Technik und
Wissenschaftsorganisation an der TH München. Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag
2003”. Further material about calculating machines at the world exhibition
in Paris in 1900 can be found in my article "Die Rechenmaschine Gauss - eine
gescheiterte Innovation?", published in Hashagen, Ulf, Oskar Blumtritt,
Helmuth Trischler (Eds.): "Circa 1903", Artefakte in der Gründungszeit des
Deutschen Museums, Munich 2003, S. 371-398. Furthermore I have almost
finished an article about the history of computer exhibitions in museums in
Europe and the US in the 20th century, which will probably be published this
year in the journal “Informatik-Spektrum”.

Best wishes, Ulf

Dr. Ulf Hashagen

Deutsches Museum

Forschungsinstitut für Technik- und Wissenschaftsgeschichte

Museumsinsel 1

80538 München

Germany

Tel.:  +49 (0)89-2179-453