[SIGCIS-Members] 17th-19th c. exhibitions of computers

Bernard Geoghegan b-geoghegan at northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 18 17:54:16 PDT 2008

Hi SIGCIS members,
     I'm doing some research on the 20th century exhibition of
computers, particularly in the form of automata and televised
calculating machines.  I'd like to look for some historical
precedents, though.  Does anyone know of any works discussing the
exhibition of calculating machines from the 17th through the 19th
century?  For example, in the 19th century calculating machines were
sent to at least one World's Fair, and in in the 18th c. von
Kempelen's chess playing Turk inspired popular speculations and
exciting about thinking machines, etc.
     Thanks for your help.
Bernard

Bernard Geoghegan
Doctoral Candidate, Program in Screen Cultures, Northwestern University
Institute Visitor, Program in Science, Technology and Society,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology