[SIGCIS-Members] PhD opening in user interface history

Anker Helms Jørgensen anker at itu.dk
Fri Feb 29 06:19:49 PST 2008

Dear Colleagues.

Please pass this announcement to relevant parties.

Thanks – Anker Helms Jorgensen

At the IT University of Copenhagen a number of Ph.D. openings are
offered, among these one in User Interface History.

User interface history has so far largely been addressing the
development of the graphical user interface and the influence of early
visionaries such as Vannevar Bush, Douglas Engelbart and Alan Kay, i.e.
“history from above”. Contrasting this, the intended approach in the
present Ph.D. is ”history from below” where mundane aspects of user
interfaces are addressed. Examples of such projects are plugboard
programming, batch versus online-programming, portraits of user
interface designers of the 1960s, the role of the pervasive IBM 3270
protocol, and WordPerfect (a loved and hated menu-driven word processor
of the 1980s).

Applicants are expected to submit a 3-5 page proposal on a project
within the area.

The deadline is April 7 at noon Danish time.

Prerequisites: MA in Technology History, History, or similar.

The Ph.D. project will be supervised by Anker Helms Jorgensen, an
HCI-person who in recent years has been working with the history of
user interfaces.

For further information on the Ph.D., please visit
http://www1.itu.dk/sw38325.asp
http://www1.itu.dk/sw65235.asp
http://www.itu.dk/research/inc/

For further info on Anker Helms Jorgensen see my (non-updated) webpage
http://www1.itu.dk/sw4489.asp.
For a more recent source, see my postings on the blog of my research
group, many of which address UI History
http://www.itu.dk/research/inc/?author=12

Please contact me for further information (but note that I’m away until
March 10):
Anker Helms Jørgensen, anker at itu.dk, phone: +45 72 18 50 20

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Anker Helms Jorgensen