Hi Paul,

Good questions all - I'll be interested in the response.� Henry Lowood has some nice stuff at http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/lowood.html, though I suspect you know this already.� Doug Engelbart's demo is on the web.� I could set up a skype session with Regis McKenna, who knows SV backwards.� There was a Nova or BBC series which I heard good reports on, but I forget the details.� Exciting is hard to come by in general though.� Laura de Nardis' excellent new work on internet names will not be accessible enough I fear.� There's also The Wealth of Networks, though I'm not too attuned to the analysis - http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/wealth_of_networks/Main_Page.

take care,

geof


Paul Edwards wrote:
All -

I'm getting ready to teach an undergrad course (juniors and seniors) on "History of Computers and the Internet" for the first time in 7 years.

I'm looking for suggestions on three things:

1) A recent book on the history of personal computers that's well-written and exciting for undergrads. I used to use Fire in the Valley, but that's very dated now.�

2) On history of the Internet, I've been using Janet Abbate's Inventing the Internet for years. It's a great book but somewhat inaccessible for undergrads, and now a bit dated.

3) Books or articles -- again, exciting for undergrads -- on history of the WWW. Please, not Tim Berners-Lee's awesomely self-centered memoir.

Thanks for any and all.

- Paul
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧�
Paul N. Edwards, Assoc. Professor of Information

School of Information
3078 West Hall
University of Michigan
1085 South University Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI��48109-1107
(734) 764-2617 (office)�� � � � � � � � �
(206) 337-1523��(fax)�







_______________________________________________ This email is relayed from members@sigcis.org, the email discussion list of SHOT SIGCIS. The list archives are at http://sigcis.org/pipermail/members/ and you can change your subscription options at http://sigcis.org/mailman/listinfo/members