[SIGCIS-Members] my new book just came out - a legal history of the videogame industry

Mailland, Julien Pierre Emmanuel mailland at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 11 10:54:13 PDT 2024

Dear SIGCIS -- I'm excited to report that my new book just came out with MIT Press (Game Histories series).  The Game That Never Ends: How Lawyers Shape The Videogame Industry, is a legal history of the videogame industry written for non-lawyers.  I put together a small website for it here: www.10nes.io

It's available through your favorite bookstore, and also as a free open access pdf at https://direct.mit.edu/books/oa-monograph/5819/The-Game-That-Never-EndsHow-Lawyers-Shape-the

I've gotten some really cool praise already:

“Mailland has not just presented a comprehensive review of the legal history of videogames. He also has provided one of the most complete accounts I have seen of the history of the industry itself.”
Jim Levy, founding Chairman and CEO of Activision

“Julien Mailland's book tells the fascinating story of the birth of Atari and the video games industry with telling insights gained from the players who made it happen.”
Lon Allan, Chairman Emeritus, Silicon Valley Directors' Exchange

“Mailland captures the complex legal intricacies engendered by the competition in videogames in an accessible and humorous history full of captivating stories and lively imagery.”
Edward D. Manzo, author of Patent Claim Construction in the Federal Circuit

Hope this is going to be of interest to you.  Feel free to reach out, I'm always happy to give book talks!

Hope this emails finds everyone well
Take care
Julien

Julien Mailland
Associate Professor of Media Management, Law, and Policy, Indiana University Media School
Adjunct Associate Professor of Informatics, Indiana University Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
Associate Editor, The Information Society
Attorney at Law (New York)
mailland at iu.edu - jmailland at yahoo.com - + 1 (310) 227 0886 - www.10nes.io  -  www.minitel.us<http://www.minitel.us>