[SIGCIS-Members] Announcing SIGCIS 2024 Conference Schedule + Logistical Details

Babintseva, Ekaterina ebabints at purdue.edu
Wed May 15 08:40:35 PDT 2024

Dear SIGCIS,

On behalf of the SIGCIS organizing committee -- Morgan Ames, Xiaochang Li, Colette Perold, Gili Vidan, and myself  --  I am happy to announce that the preliminary schedule for the 15th Annual Meeting of SIGCIS is now live and can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/2mvv8kcu

Our keynote for the event is Anita Say Chan (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), the author of Networking Peripheries: Technological Futures and the Myth of Digital Universalism (2014).

This year, the conference will take place on the Viña del Mar campus of Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, on July 14, right after the Society for the History of Technology (SHOT) meeting.  There is an option to attend SIGCIS virtually, and one of our hotel conference rooms will be hybrid-enabled.

Below, you will find some key information about registration, transportation, lodging, and SIGCIS events, including our legendary book raffle.

Registration: Please register here<https://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual-meeting/2024-joint-icohtec-shot-annual-meeting/registration-information-for-the-joint-meeting-in-chile/>.  If you are only attending SIGCIS and not SHOT,  use the promo code "SIGCISSUNDAY." You will have the option to add the code when selecting the registration fee.

SIGCIS Friday Lunch: SIGCIS will have a Friday luncheon, catered by SHOT, at the conference venue. This is open to the wider SHOT community, so please get the word out for those who may be SIGCIS-curious!

Book raffle:  Following the precedent set in New Orleans in 2022, the raffle drawing for books will take place on Sunday at the SIGCIS lunch (NOT at the Friday lunch!). We will have raffle tickets available at the SIGCIS Friday lunch and from SIGCIS officers throughout SHOT. We’d like to encourage you to bring books for the SIGCIS raffle, or get them to a colleague who will be attending SIGCIS in person. The raffle is an important fundraiser for SIGCIS, and we hope you contribute books and participate!

Lodging: As the conference will take place on the Viña del Mar campus of Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, there will be no official conference hotel. Please refer to SHOT’s lodging recommendations posted here.<https://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual-meeting/2024-joint-icohtec-shot-annual-meeting/>
Viña del Mar transportation: SHOT will be providing shuttles from four locations around Viña del Mar to the conference venue in the morning, and back to the four locations around Viña del Mar after conference sessions end in the afternoon. SIGCIS will also have access to these shuttles, with the same pick-up and drop-off locations, on Sunday. We will send more details about the locations when we get them. Note that public transit does not otherwise serve the conference venue directly (it is a 20+ minute walk from the nearest stops).
Self-Organizing Santiago Shuttle Share: If you would like to share taxis or shuttles from Santiago to Viña del Mar with other SIGCIS members, please reach out to someone listed on this spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wr_tzgM_QmxD8YDujhfpC_xpZbTEIEie3pasxSE5Iyo/edit?usp=sharing> who is arriving or leaving around the same time as you, or enter your flight details and contact information if there is nobody arriving or leaving around the same time. Note that it's up to you to check back and self-organize - we're providing a point of coordination but will not be booking the shuttles or putting people in touch with each other.
We can’t wait for the event and hope to see many of you at SIGCIS, in-person or virtually.

With best wishes,
Katya Babintseva

Ekaterina (Katya) Babintseva [bahb-int-seva]
www.ekaterina-babintseva.com<https://www.ekaterina-babintseva.com/>
Assistant Professor in the History of Technology
Purdue University
Department of History, Beering Hall 6178
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
ebabints at purdue.edu<mailto:ebabints at purdue.edu>