[SIGCIS-Members] Quick historical inquiry

Susannah Glickman susannah.glickman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 07:46:56 PDT 2024

Dear all,

I am passing on a question I could not answer from my mentor Richard John:

“Is there any reliable historical writing (in English or any other language—eg Japanese) on the influence of U. S. anti-trust policy on the adoption of the transistor by the Japanese computer electronics industry in the 1950s?
Though Bell began to license its transistor patent before the 1956 U. S. Justice Department consent decree—recent legal scholars have attributed great significance to that ruling in shaping the future course of consumer electronics”

Richard R. John, rrj2115 at columbia.edu <mailto:rrj2115 at columbia.edu>

All the best,
Susannah

--