[SIGCIS-Members] New book from a new member

Ira H. Chinoy ichinoy at umd.edu
Mon Jul 29 12:00:13 PDT 2024

Hi, all … Although I have followed this list for years, I am now a new member and wanted to alert you to my new book: Predicting the Winner: The Untold Story of Election Night 1952 and the Dawn of Computer Forecasting.

The book is both an account of what the title describes - including historical context, what followed, and a thought experiment about the way forward from the chaos on and after election night 2020 - plus what I’ve called the story of the story, an account of the treasure hunt that ranged all across the country for the primary source materials I needed to create this book.

There are more details on Amazon, of course - about me and the book - at https://a.co/d/cBHrvhp

I have also engaged in a variety of activities to spread the word since the book has been written for a general audience:

— most recently I gave a talk at the Computer History Museum:
https://youtu.be/eCw2_qFSNmo

— I was the guest on a Politico Tech podcast: https://go.umd.edu/PoliticoPodcast

— I was interviewed for a story about the book on a PBS website: https://www.nextavenue.org/predicting-the-president/

— I wrote an op-ed for the Dallas Morning News: https://go.umd.edu/DallasOpEdpdf

- And I gave the keynote address for the Joint Journalism and Communication History Conference: https://ajha.wildapricot.org/https/ajha.wildapricot.org/page-18265/

The book built on a PhD dissertation that won the annual media history dissertation award from the American Journalism Historians Association.

Apologies for all the self promotion here. Since I am not known to those on this list - and since I come from the world of journalism rather than the world of computing (though in an earlier life I was director of data journalism at the Washington Post), I thought these details might be needed to attract your interest.  There is even a blurb for this book by a notable member of this group, Paul Ceruzzi, who was helpful to me early on in my research.

Thanks for your time,

Ira Chinoy, PhD
Associate Professor Emeritus
Philip Merrill College of Journalism