[SIGCIS-Members] Colossus at 80

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:12:33 PST 2024

Brian,

Given that the GCHQ release confirms that at least one Colossus was still in active use in the 1960s, it's in fact a bit surprising that they cleared anything as early as 1975. There's at least one well-known case (the Venona material) of intercepts having great value many years later.

When was the rumour about Churchill ordering all the machines to be destroyed first circulated?

Regards
    Brian Carpenter