[SIGCIS-Members] software modernization failures

rncharette at ieee.org rncharette at ieee.org
Mon May 29 09:45:51 PDT 2023

Hi Jonathan (et al.),

You might be interested in the piece I did for IEEE Spectrum in 2020 “Inside the Hidden World of Legacy IT Systems <https://spectrum.ieee.org/inside-hidden-world-legacy-it-systems> ” – at the end you’ll see a short list of legacy-related failures going back a decade. I also did a podcast <https://spectrum.ieee.org/legacy-system>  regarding the article as well.

You can also refer to a multi-piece set of articles I wrote for IEEE Spectrum in 2015 that was a follow-on to the 2005 “Why Software Fails” article Lee mentioned titled “Lessons from a Decade of IT Failures <https://spectrum.ieee.org/lessons-from-a-decade-of-it-failures> .” You’ll see a number of IT modernization project failures discussed.

If you are focused on government IT systems, you might like to peruse the article I wrote for IEEE Computer, “Dragging Government Legacy Systems Out of the Shadows <https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7562333> ” in 2016. A May 2023 US Government Accountability Office (GAO) report titles, “Agencies Need to Continue Addressing Critical Legacy Systems” <https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-23-106821>  illustrates not much has changed from what I highlighted.

BTW, I’ll also be doing a podcast for Red Hat on legacy software later this summer.

The short answer to your question as to why modernization Failures are so common and remain so is, as Les Hatton Emeritus Professor of Forensic Software Engineering, Kingston University said long ago, “The most significant reason software fails is that we don’t learn from our mistakes.”

Cheers,

Bob Charette