[SIGCIS-Members] software modernization failures

Roberts, Sarah sarah.roberts at ucla.edu
Mon May 29 22:33:29 PDT 2023

To add to then case studies, the situation with the UK Postal Service and the Fujitsu-developed software, named “Horizon,” led to some postmasters being convicted of theft and embezzlement, and some even ending their own lives, when the faulty software — which Fujitsu knew did not work properly — made it seem that thousands of pounds were missing from numerous postal offices around the country. It is still unresolved, to my knowledge:

Fujitsu: How a Japanese firm became part of the Post Office scandal

 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61020075

I personally often recall the PeopleSoft disaster that took place at the University of Wisconsin about 25 years ago. Considering that these systems are typically sold on a claim that they can reduce personnel overhead and streamline operations — and invariably run millions, if not billions, over and rarely, if ever, are able to deliver the full gamut of features and functionality promised — one must ask just what exactly the point is.

Enriching private corporations from publicly-funded entities seems like one key answer…

—Sarah

———

S a r a h  T.  R o b e r t s,  P h. D.

Faculty Director, UCLA Center for Critical Internet Inquiry | Co-Director, Minderoo Initiative on Technology & Power
https://www.c2i2.ucla.edu/

Associate Professor
Department of Gender Studies
University of California, Los Angeles
https://gender.ucla.edu/

Department of Information Studies
School of Education & Information Studies
University of California, Los Angeles
https://is.gseis.ucla.edu/

Behind the Screen (Yale University Press)
https://www.behindthescreen-book.com/

TO SCHEDULE ONLINE MEETING: https://calendly.com/dr-sarah-t-roberts and choose category

**Please note: I’m increasingly finding email unmanageable. If I don’t respond and your issue is urgent, please resend and indicate that in the subject line. Thank you.