[SIGCIS-Members] technological obsolescence

James Cortada jcortada at umn.edu
Wed May 24 13:22:36 PDT 2023

Nicely done.  In my nearly 40 years at IBM I encountered all the issues you
discuss both as a user and as someone trying to convince other companies to
make changes.  Faxes were always both a fascinating case and irritating
issue to deal with, particularly after 1990.

Thanks for sharing this.  And yes, your recommendations make perfect
sense.  Jim

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 3:10 PM Jonathan Coopersmith via Members <
members at lists.sigcis.org> wrote:

> I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful and helpful references about
> software modernization failures.  I am the wiser as hopefully are the
> readers of
>
> https://www.nationalacademies.org/news/2023/05/technological-obsolescence
>

> Stay sane,
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Coopersmith
> Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
>
> Professor Emeritus
> Department of History
> Texas A&M University
> College Station, TX  77843-4236
> 979.739.4708 (cell)
>
> "A Chief Skunk Looks Back,"
> <https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/departments/a-chief-skunk-looks-back/> (interview
> with Sherm Mullin) *Aerospace America* March 2023
>
> It's taking longer to vote - especially if you are Black or Hispanic
> <https://theconversation.com/its-taking-more-time-to-cast-a-ballot-in-us-elections-and-even-longer-for-black-and-hispanic-voters-191711>
> , theconversation.com
>
> Preserving space archives:  https://www.toboldlypreserve.space/
>
> *FAXED.  The Rise and Fall of the Fax Machine* (Johns Hopkins University
> Press)

James W. Cortada
Senior Research Fellow
Charles Babbage Institute