[SIGCIS-Members] ChatGPT’s Astonishing Fabrications about Percy Ludgate

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon May 8 20:18:13 PDT 2023

Brian,

That's a wonderful demolition of ChatGPT as a source of knowledge. I did wonder whether some of the false facts could result from double machine translation. Also, if you want to find an association between "Ludgate" and "analytical engine" they are in adjacent sentences of the first paragraph of your own 'Ludgate's analytical machine of 1909', and machine learning algorithms have their own ways of forming associations. How the "No. 2" crept in is unclear,
but again associations are not hard to find: "Difference Engine No. 2 and the Analytical Engine share the same design for the printer ..." [https://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/engines/]. So it's as if ChatGPT picks up such textual associations and turns them into logical associations.

Actually it's quite easy to get false technology history out of ChatGPT. The first time I ever tried it, it said "IPv6 is designed to be backward-compatible with IPv4". That is not true and was never a design goal of IPv6. In fact, it seems almost trivial to make ChatGPT spout nonsense. This is a matter of considerable concern.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter