[SIGCIS-Members] Data (Re)Makes the World - more online & in-person seats added

Aaron Mendon-Plasek alp2209 at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 28 15:58:59 PDT 2023

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I'm very happy to say that we've received an extraordinary amount of
interest for Data (Re)Makes the World
<https://law.yale.edu/isp/events/data-remakes-world>, and the initial
number of seats we had available for the conference quickly filled up. Some
who tried to register were greeted with a "sold out" banner. We now have
more in-person and online slots for people to join us.

Please go to the conference website
<https://law.yale.edu/isp/events/data-remakes-world> to register. *Last day
to register is March 30th at 11:59 pm eastern.*

Below I’ve included the conference schedule. Hope to see some of you in
person or on zoom this Friday and Saturday.

Best,

Aaron

*Data (Re)Makes the World, March 31st & April 1st, 2023  *

*Information Society Project, Yale Law School *

*Day 1: Friday, March 31, 2023 *

*Breakfast & Registration, 8:30 am – 9:00 am *

*Opening Remarks, 8:45 am – 9:00 am *

Conference Convener: Aaron Mendon-Plasek, Yale Law

*Panel 1:  Justice, 9:00 am – 10:40 am *

Chair: Meg Leta Jones, Georgetown University

Andrew Meade McGee, Smithsonian Institution, “Quantifying a Rights
Revolution Fifty Years On: Predictive Modeling, Algorithmic Rulemaking, and
the 1973 Databank Debates Over Mainframe Computers in Urban Policy and
Social Welfare Policy”

Simone Zhang, Norte Dame, “The Asymmetrical Effects of Pretrial Risk
Assessment Algorithms in the Courtroom”

Katrina Geddes, New York University, “Will you have autonomy in the
Metaverse?”

A. Feder Cooper (Cornell), Madiha Zahrah Choski (Cornell Tech), Solon
Barocas (Cornell), Christopher De Sa (Cornell), James Grimmelmann (Cornell
Law & Cornell Tech), Siddhartha Sen (Microsoft), “On Machine Learning
Uncertainty, Arbitrariness, and Due Process”

*Coffee Break, 10:40 am – 11:00 am *

*Panel 2: Trusting Sources, 11:00 am – 12:40 pm *

Chair: Matthew Jones, Columbia University

Gabriel Grill, University of Michigan, “Constructing Certainty in Machine
Learning: On the performativity of testing and its hold on the Future”

Kadija Ferryman & Odia Kane, John Hopkins, “Identifying and Interrogating
Algorithmic Accounts in Medical AI”

Kushang Mishra, IIIT Bangalore, “Data-driven ‘precision’ vs Farmer’s
guesswork: How Data is (Re)Making Agriculture in India”

Alexander Campolo (Duham U) & Katia Schwerzmann (Ruhr-Universität Bochum),
“From ‘Is’ to ‘Ought’: Data as Example in Machine Learning”

*Lunch, 12:40 pm – 1:40 pm *

*Panel 3: Calculated Environments, 1:40 pm – 3:20 pm [Parallel Session 1 of
2] *

Chair: Amin Ebrahimi Afrouzi, Yale Law

James Clinton Francis (Columbia Law), Adeline Chum (Columbia), & Guangyu Wu
(Columbia), “Clucked Up: Active Machine Learning of Aerial Imagery and the
Undercounting-Underfunding Problem in North Carolina’s Poultry Industry”

Matt P. Lukacz, Harvard, “Environmental Technocracy or Science-Based
Policy? Critiques of Quantification in Political Ecology and the History of
Debates About Algorithmic Decision Making in Conservation Biology”

Theodora Dryer, New York University, “Colorado River Water Policy and ADS
Regulation”

*Panel 4: Computed Worlds, 1:40 pm – 3:20 pm [Parallel Session 2 of 2] *

Chair: Bonnie Kaplan, Yale

Pariroo Rattan, Harvard University, “Dueling Economists and Discriminating
Models: Causal Regression Analysis in 21st Century American Courts”

Ekaterina Babintseva, Purdue University, “Rules for Creative Thinking:
Algorithms, Heuristics, and Soviet Cybernetic Psychology”

Jonathan Weinberg, Wayne State University, “Everything old is new again:
credit rating and alternative data”

Catherine Powell, Fordham Law, “Race, Place, and Cyberspace”

*Coffee Break, 3:20 pm – 3:40 pm *

*Panel 5: Data Work, 3:40 pm – 5:20 pm *

Chair: TBA

Karen Levy, Cornell University, “Rules, Loopholes, and Autonomous Systems”

Ira Anjali Anwar, University of Michigan, “Seeing Like a Gig Company:
Algorithmic Classification and the (Re)Valuation of Labor”

Devin Kennedy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, “Factory Work and Database
Management: Industrial Origins of the Computer Database, 1958-67”

Jordan Ali and Gili Vidan, Cornell University, “The Economization of Play:
Collapsing Value and Liberatory Promises on the Axie Infinity Platform”

*Day 2: Saturday, April 1, 2023 *

*Breakfast, 9:00 am – 9:30 am *

*Panel 6: Enacting Futures, 9:30 am – 11:10 am *

Chair: Valère Ndior, Université de Bretagne occidentale

Angelina Wang (Princeton), Sayash Kapoor (Princeton), Solon Barocas
(Cornell), Arvind Narayanan (Princeton), “Against Predictive Optimization:
On the Legitimacy of Decision-Making Algorithms that Optimize Predictive
Accuracy”

Jonnie Penn, University of Cambridge, “Decomputerization as Détente”

Burcu Baykurt, University of Massachusetts—Amherst, “Extracting Value”

Hannah Zeavin, Indiana University, “Screening Mother, Coding Baby:
Predictive Control, Incarcerated Mothers, and Attachment Theory in the
Prison”

*Coffee Break & Lunch Pickup, 11:10 am – 11:30 am *

*Panel 7: Mediating Identities, 11:30 am – 1:10 pm [lunch panel] *

Chair: Lisa Messeri, Yale University

Pieter Vanden Broeck & David Stark, Columbia University, “Class, Code and
Control: Algorithmic Management in the Classroom”

Amina Abdu (UMichigan), Lauren Chambers (Berkeley), Abigail Jacobs
(UMichigan), Deirdre Mulligan (Berkeley), “The Limits of (Algorithmic)
Transparency: Lessons Learned from the US Census’ Implementation of
Differential Privacy”

Alicia Boyd, New York University, “Should they? Gender Recognition,
Privacy, and Accelerometers”

Nina Toft Djanegara, Stanford University, “Face the Nation”

*Closing Remarks, 1:10 pm – 1:20 pm *