[SIGCIS-Members] On the Merits of ChatGPT and the like as Historian's Assistants

Adam Hyland achyland at uw.edu
Tue Jul 18 13:12:32 PDT 2023

I found Donald Knuth’s reflections in this topic informative:
https://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/chatGPT20.txt

My two cents:

The capacity for hallucination alongside what appears to be appropriate
identification of context or nuance casts a veil of fabulism over all the
output, which (IMO) makes models like these unreliable in ways that even
Procopius was not. Given that problem, a model which more often returns
correct information might well be considered *less* trustworthy overall as
an assistant.

Adam Hyland (*he/him)*
adampunk.com
UW HCDE PhD Student