[SIGCIS-Members] Zuse / binary

Jesper Juul j at jesperjuul.net
Sat Jul 8 05:05:11 PDT 2023

In Raúl Rojas' paper on the Z1/Z3(1), he writes that "instead of using
gears (as Babbage had done in the previous century), Zuse implemented
logical and arithmetical operations using sliding metallic rods. The rods
could move in only one of two directions (forward or backward) and
therefore were appropriate for a binary machine." The Z1 is 1936-38.

This doesn't quite explain if rods or binary arithmetic came first, but
there is a footnote to Zuse's book "Der Computer mein Lebenswerk".

As a side note, I can recommend seeing the Z1 in the Technical Museum in
Berlin if you are near.

Jesper Juul

1) https://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/Zuse_Z1_and_Z3.pdf