[SIGCIS-Members] History courses in CS departments

Dana Freiburger dana at dafreiburger.org
Sat Feb 18 16:53:55 PST 2023

Hi Evan and everyone,

Your message and the subsequent replies brought to mind what Thomas Kuhn wrote back in 1962 in The Structure of Scientific Revolutions:

“Scientific education makes use of no equivalent for the art museum or the library of classics, and the result is a sometimes drastic distortion in the scientist’s perception of his discipline’s past.” (p. 166 in my 1967 edition)

Two pages earlier Kuhn wrote:

“Why, after all, should the student of physics, for example, read the works of Newton, Faraday, Einstein, or Schrödinger, when everything he needs to know about these works is recapitulated in a far briefer, more precise, and more systematic form in a number of up-to-date textbooks?”

Thus many CS departments are holding true to a Kuhnian form in branching over history in their courses, something abetted by most textbooks.  I hope the evidence of successful CS courses on computer history provided by others on the list helps you in making your course permanent.  This would be a welcomed correction to the current CS pedagogical paradigm.

Cheers,

Dana A. Freiburger, Ph.D.
Madison, Wisconsin  U.S.A.
https://dafreiburger.org/