[SIGCIS-Members] History courses in CS departments

Aristotle Tympas tympas at phs.uoa.gr
Wed Feb 15 23:55:24 PST 2023

A course on the history of computing that I have been teaching for
almost two decades at the informatics department of the University of
Athens, Greece (the current president of ACM comes from this
department)

https://www.di.uoa.gr/en/studies/undergraduate/411¨

Hi everyone,

I've been teaching a special topics course in computer history for
three semesters here at NJIT. The university policy is three semesters
maximum, then the course must be made permanent or cancelled. So I'm going
through the process of trying to make it permanent.

The department administration supports it, but it has to be voted on by
the rank-and-file faculty, many of whom don't seem to understand the value
of a history course -- or at least not of a history course in a technical
department, rather than through our humanities college.

It would help if I can show them other examples. Can anyone point me
existing examples of history courses in CS, EE, or other technical
departments at U.S. universities?
--
Evan Koblentz

New Jersey Institute of Technology
 - Senior Writer, Office of
Strategic Communications
 - Adjunct Instructor, Ying Wu College of
Computing
 - Faculty/Staff Advisor, NJIT Lego Club

evank at njit.edu
 (973) 596-3065