[SIGCIS-Members] New Resource: The Archival Internet Video Index

Avery Dame-Griff avery.dame at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:11:43 PDT 2023

All,

(Apologies for cross-posting!)

I just wanted to share a new resource I've been working on that might be
of interest to folks for research or teaching: The Archival Internet Video
Index <https://apdame.github.io/vidindex/>. While the name is a bit of a
misnomer, the AIVI indexes archival footage of early digital communications
and information services in use, ranging from videotex to the early years
of the web. I've focused on video in particular because it allows folks,
especially students, to see these technologies in use. They're also great
for illustrating public understandings of technology, as well
as contemporaneous corporate rhetoric  (the CompuServe/Mickey Mouse Club
theme mashup might be my favorite find so far).

Please feel free to reach out if you have questions, suggestions, or any
updated information for an entry - in almost all cases, I've based what
I've indexed on what the poster shared, so some of the dates for when these
videos were produced are very fuzzy.

Best,
Avery Dame-Griff

--
Avery Dame-Griff (he/him/his)
Lecturer, Women's and Gender Studies (Gonzaga University)