[SIGCIS-Members] Job opening: Assistant Prof of Media Studies focusing on media policy

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 11:32:50 PDT 2022

Hello SIGCIS!

I am writing to share an exciting job opening.

The Department of Media Studies at the University of Virginia seeks
applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor focused on media
policy. We welcome applicants from a variety of different specializations,
perspectives, and methodologies whose research engages with media policy,
law, regulation, and/or governance.

For details on the position and the mission of the department, see:

https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UVAJobs/job/Assistant-Professor-of-Media-Studies--Tenure-Track_R0040677

Best wishes from Charlottesville,

Kevin Driscoll

--

The Department of Media Studies
<http://https:/mediastudies.as.virginia.edu/> at the University of Virginia
seeks applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor focused on media
policy. We welcome applicants from a variety of different specializations,
perspectives, and methodologies whose research engages with media policy,
law, regulation, and/or governance.

The mission of the Department of Media Studies is to analyze media culture,
technology, labor, literacy, policy, infrastructure, and inequity. Our goal
is to provide students with the tools to evaluate and shape media. With
global reach, our faculty and students examine media from a variety of
perspectives that include media history, aesthetics and form, audience
analysis, media uses, the impact of media on public opinion, and the
relations between media and the law, including free speech issues, as well
as the commerce and regulation of media in the public sphere. The
department engages the role of media in these social arrangements through a
combination of humanistic and social scientific approaches. We further
focus on connecting with media stakeholders, drawing on close proximity and
connection to Washington, DC and other national media centers to explore
the global questions of the field.

Qualified candidates must hold a Ph.D. in media studies, communication, or
a related field.

We are additionally interested in candidates who have an active research
program related to media policy and show a strong record of publication or
a clear potential for such (in accordance with career stage). Candidates
should also demonstrate the potential for excellence in teaching and
mentoring students at the undergraduate and graduate levels, a willingness
to contribute to the scholarly life of the Department of Media Studies, and
a commitment to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and affirmative environment
for faculty, staff, and students from historically underrepresented groups
at the University of Virginia.

The appointment begins in the fall semester of 2023. Applicants must have
received their PhD by July 1, 2023. Salary is commensurate with education
and experience.

Application review will begin on October 28, 2022. The position will remain
open until filled.

For the first round of review, we request a cover letter, curriculum vitae
(CV), and contact information for at least 3 references. After the first
round, the search committee will request a writing sample (such as a
dissertation chapter, book excerpt, or journal article), and three letters
of reference.

To submit your materials, please complete the online application form:

https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UVAJobs/job/Assistant-Professor-of-Media-Studies--Tenure-Track_R0040677

For additional information about the position, please contact Search
Committee Chair, Kevin Driscoll, at ked5d at virginia.edu.

For questions about the application process, please contact Melanie
Sponaugle, Recruiter, at unw5dq at virginia.edu.