[SIGCIS-Members] What inspired Bush's Memex?

LO*OP CENTER, INC. lizaloop at loopcenter.org
Wed Nov 16 09:49:40 PST 2022

Hi Evan,

I assume you've been in touch with Murray Turroff. Here's one of his papers
just in case you don't have it. http://www.loopcntr.net/repository/1016.pdf.
I have several others in the History of Computing in Learning and Education
archive. Check out hcle.org for a small sample of the documents I'm trying
to scan and make accessible.

By the way, there's no way I can finish the HCLE project by myself in the
time I have left on this earth. If any of you readers are interested in
researching and documenting how computing and education have intersected
between 1960 and 1990, please contact me. I have at least 50 potential
dissertations sitting in storage.

Cheers,

Liza

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 8:36 AM Evan Koblentz via Members <
members at lists.sigcis.org> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Tonight I'm teaching my
> students about the origins of graphical interfaces, and realized that I
> didn't have a good answer ready to the question of, "But what inspired
> Bush?"
>
> I am quickly reading Smith, Googling about Otlet/Goldberg, and running to
> our university library to get Burke's book.
>

> On 11/15/22 9:56 PM, Koblentz, Evan wrote:
>
> Does anyone have documentation, or good theories, about how/where Vannevar
> Bush was inspired to develop his ideas for the speculative Memex? I know
> that he was privy to the latest computer developments, but how did he make
> the jump from plugboards and punch cards to a virtual encyclopedia and
> hypertext?
>
> --
> Evan Koblentz
>
> New Jersey Institute of Technology
> - Senior Writer, Office of Strategic Communications
> - Adjunct Instructor, Ying Wu College of Computing
>
> evank at njit.edu
> (973) 596-3065
> https://web.njit.edu/~evank
> @TechnicallyEvan <https://twitter.com/technicallyevan>

Liza Loop
Executive Director, LO*OP Center, Inc.
Guerneville, CA 95446
www.loopcenter.org
650 619 1099 (between 8 am and 10 pm Pacific time only please)