[SIGCIS-Members] Unhinged old newspaper reports lead to interesting ARPANET "first message" question

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:46:17 PDT 2022

Another date in the running: October 6.

BBN Report 1925 (from https://www.telecomarchive.com/bbn.html) says:

"This report covers the period 1 October 1969 - 31 December 1969.
Within this period, we have:
1. Delivered production IMP #2 to SRI on 6 October. The
IMP came up in one day and within two weeks, the Host/
IMP communication was operating."

Also, as I thought, BBN had already done lab tests. Report 1890 says:

"This Quarterly Technical Report No. 3 describes several
aspects of our progress on the ARPA computer network during
the third quarter of 1969. During this period, the first
IMP was delivered to UCLA on schedule with an operational
program. The IMP successfully communicated with the UCLA
Host computer (a Sigma 7).

2. HARDWARE CHECKOUT AND INSTALLATION
During this quarter, we tested the IMPs intensively. After
being tested separately, the IMPs were combined into small net-
works of two or three locally connected IMPs and then retested.
Upon installation at UCLA, the IMP was tested further."

So the first IMP-to-IMP packets were exchanged on BBN premises
during 3Q1969.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter
On 20-May-22 15:38, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 20-May-22 12:47, Win Treese wrote:
>> Hi, Tom. I think that the IMP story in early October makes a lot of sense. If I recall
>> correctly, there's a fair bit of detail on that in Where Wizards Say Up
> Late by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon.
>
> Yes, but they do not settle the date question. The famous failed LOG attempt and, after a software fix, the successful LOGIN attempt are described
> (pages 152-154 in my copy) without specifying the exact date in October. To be clear, that was a host-to-host connection (essentially a primitive telnet) between the UCLA Sigma-7 and the SRI SDS 940.
>
> They do state that the SRI IMP was delivered on October 1. But there is
no reference to IMP-to-IMP tests. My assumption is that IMP-to-IMP tests would have been BBN's responsibility, and would have been first done in the BBN lab before shipping any IMPs to California.

>> A 1994 article from CIO Magazine[1] reporting on an ARPAnet 25th anniversary celebration has approximately the timeline you described (early October IMPs talking, late October the host computers beginning to communicate.)
>
> Hmm. The famous first LOG/LOGIN connection had Charley Kline, an undergraduate, at the UCLA end, according to Hafner & Lyon. That article refers
to Ben Barker and Marty Thrope, and again the date is vague. There is mention of the UCLA IMP commissioning on September 2 and the UCLA-SRI connection "a month later", which is compatible with pretty much any date in October. But they didn't do any host-to-host work; that was done by the academics at both sites, not by BBN people.

>> Leo Beranek's "Roots of the Internet: A Personal History"[2] seems to conflate the two events, putting them both on October 3, 1969.
>
> He precisely dates the events as described by Hafner & Lyon, even using
some of the same wording. But see my next comment.

>> The Computer History Museum specifically says: "fter installation in September, handwritten logs from UCLA show the first host-to-host connection, from UCLA to SRI, is made on October 29, 1969. The first 'Log-In' crashes the SRI host, but the next attempt works!"[3], referring to it as the
> "first host-to-host connection", which would be the computers involved.
>
> Yes, they seem sure of that date, and they identify Bill Duvall as the SRI end [4].
>
> Watch the protagonists at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duyl0ZZ5BQ
.
> They also seem sure it was the 29th. It seems that Duvall spent a few weeks after the IMP arrived at SRI making its connection with the SDS 940 work.
>
>>   From an engineering point of view, this story makes a lot of sense. Obviously the IMPs have to communicate with each other before the hosts can, and in that kind of project you would test components step by step to
build up the whole system. Some of the references discuss getting the host-IMP connection working in early October 1969 as well, also an important
milestone. In a way, that's a pretty significant one, because BBN had the
> IMPs talking to each other in the lab before shipping them, so the main
difference was interposing the real long-distance connection.

> In fact it seems clear that the UCLA (Sigma-7) to IMP connection worked
at some time in September, and that SRI was ready and waiting when their IMP arrived. But from what Duvall says in the above video, he presumably spent most of October writing the necessary code.

> If anything happened on October 3 or 6, I think we can assume it was the repetition over a modem link of BBN lab tests between two IMPS. Useful,
necessary, but not earth-shattering work; what any engineer would do in the circumstances.

> Regards
>      Brian Carpenter
>
> [4] https://computerhistory.org/blog/october-29-1969-happy-40th-birthday-to-a-radical-idea/
>
>> Philosophically, I think that "the ARPAnet coming into existence" would
> be people communicating using host computers, since that was the goal of the network. Barker's work is still a milestone in getting there. It's easy to see how it can get overlooked in the big story, and also how the various events get confused, especially with the common use of the term "message". Different levels of the networking stack use "message" somewhat
differently, combined with colloquial use in general.

of every Internet e-mail today.”  This is of course particularly odd because both Internet email and the @ sign are conventionally attributed to another BBN employee in 1971: Ray Tomlinson.

of the BBN ARPANET team. He’s mentioned in a similar context a 2020 Harvard Magazine article by Harry Lewis (an insider account of the emergence of computer science at Harvard) https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2020/09/features-a-science-is-born:

was sent from UCLA to SRI on 29 October, 1969. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

>>> The first successful host to host connection on the ARPANET was made between Stanford Research Institute (SRI) and UCLA, by SRI programmer Bill
> Duvall and UCLA student programmer Charley Kline, at 10:30 pm PST on 29
October 1969 (6:30 UTC on 30 October 1969).[57] Kline connected from UCLA's SDS Sigma 7 Host computer (in Boelter Hall room 3420) to the Stanford Research Institute's SDS 940 Host computer. Kline typed the command "login," but initially the SDS 940 crashed after he typed two characters. About
> an hour later, after Duvall adjusted parameters on the machine, Kline tried again and successfully logged in. Hence, the first two characters successfully transmitted over the ARPANET were "lo".[58][59][60] The first permanent ARPANET link was established on 21 November 1969, between the IMP
> at UCLA and the IMP at the Stanford Research Institute. By 5 December 1969, the initial four-node network was established.
>>>
>>> It seems unlikely that Wikipedia, historians, and the IEEE historic milestone committee (https://ethw.org/Milestones:Birthplace_of_the_Internet,_1969)  are all wrong about the Oct 29 date. (Though like many other historians I have some reservations about the whole “UCLA as birthplace the Internet” narrative: BBN’s role was far more significant than any of the initial user sites. And if the ARPANET was born when two hosts communicated, how can only one of them be the first node? Aren’t they jointly first?)
>>>
>>> Looking closer though, it may well be that what Lewis was attributing
to Barker in the Harvard magazine report something different from the more commonly celebrated milestone of a “host to host connection.” If Barker got the UCLA and SRI IMPS to send characters back and forth in early Oct, 1969 it could quite plausibly have taken several weeks for Duvall and Kline to get the timesharing “host” computers in each place to exchange data packets with each other via the IMPs. I can’t find any mention of this two stage process in the most obvious places, such as Janet Abbate’s book _Inventing the Internet_, but logically speaking the two IMPs must have been talking to each other before the hosts could talk through them, and the obvious way to verify this would have been to manually type a message from one IMP to the other. This would fit with Barker’s claim to have “sent a message” to his BBN colleague who was minding the IMP on the other end.

though with a slightly different date: https://www.raytheon.com/sites/default/files/rtnwcm/groups/gallery/documents/digitalasset/rtn_224614.pdf

>>> Barker traveled with the IMP to make sure the airline's cargo crew treated it with the respect it deserved and Truett Thach, a technician in BBN's Los Angeles office, met Barker and the IMP as they deplaned. When the
> IMP got to UCLA, Barker and Thach attached the cables and powered it up. Instantly, the machine picked up just where it had left off in Cambridge.
> Barker phoned Heart to tell him the good news and that he would be coming
> home in the morning. Heart asked Barker to hang around for a few days to see if it crashed. It didn't.
>>>
>>> On October 1, 1969, the second IMP arrived at SRI and the first characters were transmitted over the new network. The ARPANET was born. IMPs number three and four were installed at UC Santa Barbara and the University
> of Utah with little fanfare. IMP installations were beginning to seem routine.
>>>
>>> If my reading is correct and if Barker remembered the date and details
> right (a big if – some documentation would be nice) then whether he sent the first APANET message is almost a philosophical question: did the network come into being when two host computers first communicated over an ARPANET link, or earlier when two IMPs began to push characters back and forth over a leased line. Most people would say the former, but it’s not unreasonable for Barker to want to highlight the latter. The answer may also vary depending on perspective, specifically whether you were an IMP hardware guy, like Barker, or a network user like Kleinrock.
>>>
>>> Every time a question came up that required deep ARPANET knowledge I used to email Dave Walden, who was one of the original BBN team and had a
deep interest in computer history. He died recently, and I am missing him