[SIGCIS-Members] Job: Lecturer, University of Manchester, UK

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Fri May 13 12:08:39 PDT 2022

Dear SIGCIS

My group, the Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine
at the University of Manchester in the UK, is seeking a new permanent
member of teaching and research staff at Lecturer level (similar to
Assistant Professor). We are particularly looking to broaden our Global
South coverage, so the role might suit someone who works on information
and communications technologies in those regions. CHSTM is strong on
contemporary history, and an interest in science and technology studies,
science policy, or science communication studies may be an advantage.

If you'd like to know more about CHSTM as a working environment, I'd be
happy to discuss informally: just drop me an email off-list.

Applications close at midnight UK time (UTC+1) on *Friday 10 June 2022.*

Full details, including link to detailed person specification, are at
https://www.jobs.manchester.ac.uk/displayjob.aspx?jobid=22343. Summary
below.

All best
James

    Lecturer in History of Science, Technology or Medicine (teaching and
    research)
    University of Manchester

*Salary:* £42,149 to £51,799 per annum, depending on relevant experience

Applications are invited for a permanent post as Lecturer in History of
Science, Technology or Medicine at the Centre for the History of Science
Technology and Medicine (CHSTM), University of Manchester. Keen to
broaden our teaching and research portfolio in the global history of
science, technology and medicine (STM), we encourage applications from
candidates with expertise in colonial, postcolonial or decolonized
histories of science, medicine or technology. Candidates will have
proven expertise in one of these fields (S, T or M), or a combination,
as our Centre is dedicated to the integrated modern history of STM,
along with science and health communication. We particularly encourage
applications from candidates whose research focuses on such knowledges
and practices in regions commonly understood to form part of the Global
South, such as Africa, Latin America, South Asia or Southeast Asia. We
will also consider applicants working on current or recent STM in other
non-western contexts.

You will be expected to possess a compelling research vision with strong
potential to develop an excellent research portfolio attractive to
research funders, with a view to building research leadership in your
chosen field. You will possess a competitive publication record in
accordance with your career stage, and sustainable plans to publish
further peer reviewed academic work. You will have viable plans to apply
for research funding and will be fully supported in this by experienced
colleagues. You will also be keen to organize seminars and conferences
maintaining and further developing your network of research contacts.

You will support and enhance our teaching portfolio at undergraduate and
postgraduate (MSc and PhD) levels. In addition to provision of
innovative lectures and seminars, this will include playing an active
role in undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation and project
supervision, and taking on pastoral roles as an academic advisor. You
will be supported in developing and delivering course units at
undergraduate and postgraduate level, based on your area of research
expertise. You will have the opportunity to supervise PhD students.

As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applicants from all
sections of the community regardless of age, sex, gender (or gender
identity), ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender
status.  All appointments are made on merit.

*Enquiries about the vacancy, shortlisting and interviews:*

Name:Professor Carsten Timmermann, Director, Centre for the History of
Science, Technology & Medicine

Email: Carsten.timmermann at manchester.ac.uk
<mailto:Carsten.timmerman at manchester.ac.uk>

*General enquiries: *Email: People.recruitment at manchester.ac.uk