[SIGCIS-Members] History of Prolog

Magnus Boman mabmab at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:28:13 PDT 2022

I took my first Prolog course in the summer of 1984 and got hooked
immediately. In the late 80s, the Japanese state gave 12 years of generous
funding to SICS, the Swedish Institute of Computer Science - until its
disappearance in 2018 the largest computer science research institute in
Sweden for >30 years - to "develop 5th generation programming languages."
This led to many things, including SICStus Prolog, which still has many
active users and is in the top10 of most thanked code libraries in
published research: https://sicstus.sics.se/

Some of the people still developing solvers for Prolog are among the best
programmers I have had the pleasure to work with. I worked at SICS for 18
years and wrote many meta-interpreters for Prolog myself, but I did not
commit any new constraint solvers to the core of SICStus. A story typical
of early 90s Prolog development is me asking one of my mentors, Torkel
Franzén, whom some of you would remember from the Usenet days, why he did
not promote his latest solver, was it no good? (I used it in my course on
automated theorem proving and it rocked.) Well, he said, it's the fastest
prover in the world, by far. But it's for intuitionistic logic. Thus, it
has no merit. Torkel and I taught a string of Ph D courses in the 90s,
including Foundations of Logic Programming, based on the wonderful book by
Lloyd. Torkel said to the students that if you can't find a 1st ed, just
buy a later edition and rip out the added chapters.

We had lots of fun in particular with not(not(not( constructions, i.e.
negated negation-as-failure clauses...
M.