[SIGCIS-Members] CfP: „Flexibility“ and „Agility“ Strategies, Practices, and Ambivalences of a Key Concept since the 1980s

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 10:44:25 PDT 2022

What an interesting conference. And what interesting questions it poses!
For example, this one on page 5 of the CFP:

"How did agile software development shape the concepts of work and
employment?"

If anyone from this listserv has some cites that speak to this question I'd
be psyched if you shared a few.

I make no claims to know anything about this subject apart from recently
finishing Cal Newport's *A World Without Email *where he touches on these
concerns.  Among other things, Newport wishes for a productivity revolution
in knowledge work.  And he thinks that it might happen if we replace email
with some of the productivity tools and techniques that are used in
software development like kanban boards and scrum and agile work
processes.  He insists that this can happen without knowledge work
suffering the same forms of
regimentation/acceleration/dehumanization/surveillance that happened to
many forms of manual labor with the implementation of Taylorism and Fordism
(cf. page 119).  But how plausible are Newport's claims?  Are scrum and
agile new forms of Taylorism?  Or are they something altogether different?
Is it even helpful to view these techniques through the lens of Taylorism?

Best,

Luke Fernandez
Weber State University