[SIGCIS-Members] The Communicators

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:00:17 PDT 2022

Herbert,

As I implied yesterday, the influence of that conference was, as far as I
can tell, mainly due to Pierre de Latil's popular science book. The conference itself was important in kicking off awareness in the French scientific community, but not (IMHO) elsewhere. [See my article cited yesterday.] Also, Bowden was there, two years before "Faster than Thought".

I met two of the participants later in life (Tom Kilburn and Pierre Germain) and attended lectures by another (Maurice Wilkes).

Regards
    Brian Carpenter

of the ACM <https://cacm.acm.org/blogs/blog-cacm/222486-the-birthplace-of-artificial-intelligence/fulltext>