[SIGCIS-Members] The Communicators

Allan Olley allan.olley at alumni.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 17 13:02:01 PDT 2022

Evan,
 	Norbert Wiener was both someone working inside various computing
fields and was also a best selling author and computers come up both in
Cybernetics and the Human Use of Human Beings. So I think he must be
important in terms of understanding the public reception of computing,
which would have to feed back into computing at some level in addition to
his contributions to forming a set of research programs in Cybernetics and
allied fields.
 	Douglas Hartree strikes me as someone who had an outsized
influence in the perception of computing inside the sciences and technical
fields in the 40s and 50s if not as much with the general public. Although
he was also a contributer in terms of just directly doing computing in
science.
 	I think Alan Turing not only made technical contributions to
comptuers and computing, I think some of his notable contributions are
less hard contributions to computing and more talking about computing,
again both to technically minded and lay audiences. For example he
actually gave a BBC radio lecture on "Can Digital Computers Think?" and
in that vein his more famous essay "Computing Machinery and Intelligence"
less direct techincal contributions to computing than about computing if
I understand your sense.
 	BV Bowden's Faster Than Thought, has been mentioned, I would
second that my sense is that it was read both by those inside the field
already and the general public and that it was an important starting
point for many people's understanding of computing. Note Turing was a
contributor to that.

 	Marshall McLuhan was a very successful author and speaker on ideas
about communicaiton that included and extended at least a little to the
use of computers in communications. I don't know much about McLuhan or his
influence on thought about computers, but it seems like a factor.

 	I'm sure a lot of computer pioneers engaged in some writing and
talking about computing in general. How successful that was at the time
and what it did to the computing field is obscure so the above list is
people I am relatively sure had an outsized influence. For example I know
that Wallace J. Eckert astronomer, IBM researcher and director of the
First Thomas J. Watson laboratory co-wrote with Rebecca Jones in 1955
Faster, Faster Faster, Faster. A Simple Description of a Giant Electronic
Calculator and the Problems It Solves, about the NORC computer (the Naval
Ordinance Research Calculator), but also just about how computers in
general work and can be used.
 	I have no idea what sales were like for that book, but it was translated
into German at least suggesting some success (or that IBM was really
desperate to sell it anyway). Eckert also spent some time talking up
computer and punched card methods to other scientists and engineers
especially around 1945-1954 and published an early book on Punched Card
Methods in 1940 that had at least a little influence in science and tech.
 	I suspect if you look at other pioneers (Wilkes, Mauchley, Hopper
etc.) you can find lots of examples of them writing about computing in
addition to their direct contributions. How much this shaped letter
developments is probably somewhat obscure.

 	There are certainly a fair number of books on how cybernetic ideas
influenced later computer and computer adjacent projects like From
Cyberculture to Counterculture and Medina's Cybernetic Revolutionaries
and Kline's the Cybernetic Moment touches on this more generally. I've
just been reading a bunch of those books so they are frontmost in my mind.
Likewise and closely related it is commonly accepted by historians of
computing in my experience that Operation Research played a big role in
the use of computers (and in the books I previously mentioned Cybernetics
and OR is often intertwined), so general thought around that probably
shaped comptuer use and projects (cue drawing of a WWII plane with bullet
holes in it).

--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley, PhD