[SIGCIS-Members] The Communicators

Lori Emerson lori.emerson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:29:14 PDT 2022

Hi Evan and all,

I would add George Orwell on the "World Brain" as well as Paul Otlett's
Mundaneum - not explicitly computers but definitely imagining a networked,
world wide information sharing system.

yrs, Lori

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:25 PM Janet Abbate <abbate at vt.edu> wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> David Ferro and Eric Swedin’s anthology, "Science Fiction and Computing:
> Essays on Interlinked Domains" (McFarland & Company, 2011) is a series of
> essays about science fiction that affected real-life computing. I don’t
> recall how much coverage there was of pre-1965 SF.
>
> I used to teach Asimov’s short story “The Last Question” (1956), which is
> one of his most widely read, but I don’t know if it influenced actual
> computing.
>
> Janet
>
> Dr. Janet Abbate
> Professor, Science, Technology and Society
> Virginia Tech
> Co-director, VT National Capital Region STS program
> liberalarts.vt.edu/sts
> www.facebook.com/VirginiaTechSTS
> https://sites.google.com/vt.edu/stsconnect/
>
> > On Mar 17, 2022, at 11:23 AM, Evan Koblentz <evank at njit.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Good suggestion! Science fiction often tells us about the present,
> sometimes more than the future.
> >
> > ----
> > Evan Koblentz
> >
> > Staff Writer, Office of Strategic Communications
> > Adjunct Instructor, Ying Wu College of Computing
> >
> > evank at njit.edu
> > (973) 596-3065
> > Https://web.njit.edu/~evank
> > @TechnicallyEvan

Lori Emerson | she/her/they/them
Co-author of *THE LAB BOOK: Situated Practices in Media Studies
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/the-lab-book>*, available
April 2022
Associate Professor of English and Intermedia Arts, Writing, and Performance
Director | Intermedia Arts, Writing, and Performance Program
Director | Media Archaeology Lab
Traditional territories of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute Nations
@loriemerson <https://twitter.com/loriemerson> | loriemerson.net |
mediaarchaeologylab.com