[SIGCIS-Members] Play about Ada and Babbage

Evan Koblentz evank at njit.edu
Mon Mar 14 07:09:04 PDT 2022

I never dived deeply into Babbage/Lovelace before teaching this semester. In preparing for the first classing meeting, back in January, I read a lot of primary sources about the protagonists.

I learned that Babbage wrote a couple of dozen programs between 1836-1840. That includes the one on Bernoulli, which Lovelace put into her appendices while translating Menabrea’s work in 1843.

There is little doubt that Lovelace saw farther than Babbage in documenting that a computer could do more than just mathematics, but it makes me want to scream when I read things like the play’s homepage which states: “The programming: that was all Ada” – that is false.