[SIGCIS-Members] New Perspectives on Telephone Network Switching

Sebastian Gießmann sebastian.giessmann at uni-siegen.de
Thu Mar 10 00:37:15 PST 2022

Hello SIGCIS,

this is happening today at 1200 EST, over at SHOT's Mercurians. If you
would like to join us, you are very much welcome!

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ieee.zoom.us/j/93593784254?pwd=SkdHSHZIMVpIK2hYTDJOc2Rnc2hXdz09

Meeting ID: 935 9378 4254
Passcode: 599082

All the best,
Sebastian Giessmann (with Mara Mills and Alexander B. Magoun)

___________________

*New Perspectives on Telephone Network Switching*
Brown Bag Tag Team Talk, 10 March 2022

Following the successful initiation of our informal, “brown bag,”
scholarly Zoom talks last year, we are continuing with a unique “tag
team” format for our first presentation in 2022. On *Thursday, 10 March,
at 1200 EST*, Sebastian Giessmann and Mara Mills will share the fruits
of their recent archival research to offer new perspectives on a century
of telephone network switching. Bring your lunch, breakfast, or dinner
to the virtual table, and please share the meeting link obtained from
info at mercurians.org–privately, please–with colleagues interested in
telephony or networks, information or media studies, business or labor
history, or cyborgs.

Sebastian Giessmann, University of Siegen, “The Strowger Gambit: On How
(Not) to Automate Telephone Switching”

The talk reconstructs the back and forth between early manual and
automated telephone switching in the last third of the 19th century. It
is part of my ongoing research on cultural techniques of networking.
Basically, the narrative will focus on two U.S. cases while keeping
European developments in mind. The first one concerns the manual New
Haven Telephone Exchange of George W. Coy (1878), which I reconstruct by
way of the Southern New England Telephone Company records. A second case
in point are the numerous patents and models that proposed automating
telephone exchanges, including Almon B. Strowger’s electromechanical
apparatus for La Porte, Indiana (1891/92). In both cases, the gendered
work of technical mediation–its skills and practices–is decisive. But
the translation of manual techniques of the body into infrastructural
automation took a twisted and uneasy path. If we follow it closely, we
learn about the relations of addressing and networking, and also about
telephony’s transformation into digital mediations.

Mara Mills, New York University, “Overload: Switchboard Automation and
the Disability History of 0s and 1s”

This talk considers the early history of digital labor and automation
through a focus on the telephone switchboard, to which Claude Shannon
famously applied Boolean algebra for streamlining in 1938. Labor
historians suggest that operator management issues as much as technical
innovation drove switchboard automation after 1913, when the Bell
Telephone System consolidated its power as a legally sanctioned
monopoly. Thinking alongside Frantz Fanon’s mid-century insights about
telephone operators, surveillance capitalism, and overwork, in this talk
I highlight another 1913 shift—workers’ compensation for “disability” in
New York and in the Bell System—as an overlooked cost and management
factor in early automation.

Based on my research in the telephone exchange collections at the San
Antonio branch of the AT&T archives, and building on the work of Venus
Green and Kenneth Lipartito, I suggest that it wasn’t simply increasing
salaries and numbers of operators that worried managers. Switchboards
were also automated because telephone engineers and telephone exchange
managers could not, in the end, standardize operators’ bodies and
behavior—or rather, they could not standardize them without causing
injury, compensation expenses, and time off of work. After the passage
of workers’ compensation laws, as Sarah F. Rose has argued, managers
attempted to screen disability out of the workplace, through physical
examination of applicants, but these attempts were undermined by other
elements of the efficiency paradigm: workload increases, speed-up, and
the repetitive strain compelled by machine interaction. A related
expense was the cost of the new and compulsory health program, which
included pre-employment screenings on a nationwide scale, the hiring of
medical staff and the establishment of medical departments in large
exchanges across the country, improved sanitation, elaborate safety and
training protocols, and payment for sick days, as well as payment of
compensation for workplace accidents.

We welcome your news! Please email info at mercurians.org and include your
name and organization, if you are affiliated with one.

https://mercurians.org/news-and-announcements/

--
AR Dr. Sebastian Gießmann
https://www.uni-siegen.de/phil/medienwissenschaft/personal/lehrende/giessmann_sebastian