[SIGCIS-Members] FOIA roundtable pitch for SHOT 2022

Meg Leta Jones Meg.Jones at georgetown.edu
Tue Mar 8 06:50:58 PST 2022

Hi SIGCIS friends! danah boyd and I are planning to submit a SHOT 2022
proposal for a roundtable discussion of the use of FOIA in the history of
technology. FOIA is the Freedom of Information Act used in the U.S. to
access (some) government records - most countries around the world have
such laws.

The roundtable might include provocations like:
"Treasure hunting with FOIA"
"Harrowing FOIA stories from historians of tech"
"FOIA records as evidence: historians beware!"
"What about a FOIA for Big Tech"

If this sounds like fun or you have any interest in joining us, please
reach out so we can compile an initial list of participants. Thanks!
Meg (and danah)

-----

Meg Leta Jones, J.D., Ph.D.

Communication, Culture & Technology Associate Professor

Ethics Lab Faculty Fellow

Science, Technology, & International Affairs Core Faculty

Institute for Technology Law & Policy Affiliate Faculty

Georgetown University

Meg.Jones at Georgetown.edu

MegLeta.com <http://megleta.com/>

iSPYLab.net

Author of *Ctrl + Z: The Right to Be Forgotten
<http://nyupress.org/books/9781479881703/>* (NYU Press, 2016)