[SIGCIS-Members] Homework assignment types for computer history survey course?

Marc Weber marcweber at att.net
Thu Jun 30 15:45:26 PDT 2022

Hi Evan,

Class sounds great, congratulations!

For a seminar I taught at UC Santa Cruz on the history of the online world the main assignments were biweekly readings, which we then discussed in class, and a final project. The “midterm” was a description of the proposed final project. The finals consisted of both a live presentation and the project itself, which could either be a paper or, for the technically or artistically minded, software or other digital content.

The seminar was in the Computational Media department, so students had a range of skills from modeling autonomous vehicles to game design. I don’t know if you can reasonably ask your CS students to do something different and potentially more technical than the others for a final project, but if so that might be something to consider.

Because Covid switched the seminar to Zoom, I could easily bring in more guest speakers than originally planned including Ted Nelson, Andy van Dam, and Paul Lindner of Gopher. I asked students to prepare questions for the speakers, whom they had also read some background on. If you have a decent screen in your classroom you might try bringing in a couple of remote guest speakers that way.

Best, Marc