[SIGCIS-Members] Study grant: the history of the UK Tech industries

Tom Abram research at archivesit.org.uk
Mon Jul 4 07:43:45 PDT 2022

Archives of IT (AIT) seeks a postdoctoral researcher to work on a short study of the social and economic history of the UK Tech industry and its impact on society within a chosen window in the period 1950 to 2022. The precise topic will reflect the successful candidate's research interests, and is for discussion with AIT and our project sponsors, the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists. The duration is likely to be around two or three months but is flexible and might be longer with part time working.

AIT https://archivesit.org.uk<https://archivesit.org.uk/> is a charity established 6 years ago to encourage study of the history, raise awareness of the industry's contribution to society, and inform young people of the opportunities it offers as a meritocratic profession without regards to social standing, ethnicity or gender.
To that end we are creating an open digital archive of oral history and documentary materials, including company records and industry reports.  We are approaching leading figures in and around the industry, who have materially influenced it, who are shaping its future now and / or who shed light through their experience of working in it.  We have now completed over 200 interviews and collected 30,000 pages of documents.
The proposed work should draw upon these AIT materials and other sources as needed.  We are open to the idea of gathering additional materials (interviews and documents) to support the work.  The output should be a written report of 5,000 -10,000 words and a graphic or multimedia presentation.

If you would like more information or an informal chat, email the director of AIT at tom at abram.co<mailto:tom at abram.co>.
If you know someone who might be interested, then please pass this on.
Or if you have some ideas already, send a CV, and a short outline of initial thoughts.
Tom Abram
Director - Archives of IT
research at archivesit.org.uk
www.archivesit.org.uk<http://www.archivesit.org.uk/>

> Subscribe<https://archivesit.org.uk/sign-up/> to our e-newsletter
> Follow us on Twitter @ArchivesIT<https://twitter.com/ArchivesIT>
Registered Charity No: 1164198
This e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.  If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail. Please then delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person.