[SIGCIS-Members] CONF: Born Digital Cultural Heritage

Melanie Swalwell mswalwell at swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 27 19:24:30 PST 2022

You're invited to join us for the second iteration of the Born Digital Cultural Heritage conference (#BDCH22), from 16-18 February, 2022, Australian time. This free, online conference is hosted by the Play It Again game history and preservation team, in conjunction with our partners the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, and AARNet, Australia's Academic and Research Network.
The conference features keynote addresses from Klaus Rechert (University of Freiburg) entitled "Mastering the Preservation of Computers Games is Mastering the Preservation Game" and Dene Grigar (Washington State University) entitled "Saving Flash Art: Interventions and Mediations", plus discussion panels over 3 days comprising digital heritage researchers and practitioners from the many domains informing digital preservation.
In the interests of making this the best event possible, we are embracing the possibilities of what an international conference in the Zoom era can be. Panel format emphasises shorter presentations followed by facilitated discussion and Q&A. Timeslots have been optimised to work with presenters' timezones, to prioritise the benefits of liveness. This means there are some big gaps programmed when you can take some time away from the screen without missing out (stretch, go for a walk, do some work if you have to). Or head over to our Discord server with your beverage of choice for some informal chat outside of scheduled sessions. If you do miss something you wanted to hear, recorded panels will be available for viewing afterwards.
To register, please go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/born-digital-cultural-heritage-conference-tickets-251672498217
For the full program and speaker bios, please go to https://playitagainproject.com/conference/
Some additional special events will be held at ACMI, live for those in Melbourne and streamed for those who are not. These include panels "Hollywood and Videogames in the 1990s"; "Howzat! A brief history of Australian cricket games"; and an 'In Conversation' with game developer, John Passfield.
Find details of the free ACMI events and get tickets at https://www.acmi.net.au/whats-on/play-it-again-preserving-australias-videogames-from-the-1990s/
We look forward to your participation. Please forward to anyone potentially interested.
--
Melanie Swalwell, Project Leader: Play It Again

--
Melanie Swalwell
Professor of Digital Media Heritage

Centre for Transformative Media Technologies
School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
Swinburne University
PO Box 218, Hawthorn Vic 3122 Australia
http://transformativemedia.swinburne.edu.au/

Tel +61 3 9214 3911