[SIGCIS-Members] "Few Women on the Block: Legacy Codes and Gendered Coins" Blockchain and Society

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Tue Jan 25 10:45:12 PST 2022

Dear Colleagues,

Apologize for any duplication as I have written some but wanted to announce
a new blog series and site I am doing, Blockchain and Society: Political
Economy of Crypto.  I just published the second blog essay  it is

"Few Women on the Block: Legacy Codes and Gendered Coins"
<https://blockchainandsociety.com/>

It examines gender disparity and bias in cryptocurrency (much more
pronounced, lower participation by women, than in IT for what many see as
Web 3.0 or a blockchain decentralized Web of the future).  It places
current and extreme gender imbalance and biases in a longer historical
trajectory of gender in computing/software, gender in computer security,
cypherpunks and gender in crypto... It highlights Judith Milhon, or St.
Jude, programmer, hacker, journalist, who coined "Cypherpunk" and was the
lone woman of the "Crypto Rebels" who became the "Cypherpunks," from which
cryptocurrency originated. I also present three rare women founders of
crypto. Some colleagues have written to me about the glossary and the
timeline on my site (doing it independent of CBI) being useful to their
students, terminology and jargon is so extensive in both crypto and in
finance, and thus especially so in cryptocurrency, hence creating
further barriers and a less inviting culture.  VCs being over 90% male
extend inequality in the space further.   And with the blog it is a longer
form essay style, so I try to offer a bit of depth.

Please check it out. And please consider subscribing, sharing on social
media, and linking.

*Blockchain and Society - Home* <https://blockchainandsociety.com/>

Many thanks!!!

Best, Jeff

The blog focuses on power, imbalances, algorithmic biases, IT social
justice opportunities with blockchain and limitations, etc.
*"Injustice wears the same harsh face wherever it shows itself."*-Ralph
Ellison

Jeffrey R. Yost, Ph.D.
Director, Charles Babbage Institute
Research Professor, History of Science, Technology, and Medicine

Co-Editor (w/ Gerardo Con Diaz)
*Studies in Computing and Culture book series, Johns Hopkins University
Press*

*Committee Member, **National Academies, NAE Extraordinary Engineering
Impacts on Society *

Founder and Co-Editor (w/ Amanda Wick),

*Interfaces: Essays and Reviews in Computing and Culture*

*Making IT Work: A History of the Computer Services Industry (MIT Press
2017)*
<https://www.amazon.com/Making-Work-Computer-Services-Computing/dp/026203672X>

222  21st Avenue South
University of Minnesota