[SIGCIS-Members] fellowship call—Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society

Amy Johnson amyj at mit.edu
Mon Jan 17 08:52:22 PST 2022

Hi all,

Wanted to share with you the fellowship call from the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University (below), open until Jan 31. I'm a past fellow and current affiliate—if you have questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Amy

***

The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is now accepting fellowship applications for the 2022-2023 academic year through our open call<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__brk.mn_2223opencall&d=DwMFaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=yjMksIJ64SQQsuPODSvdlGrmGDdI0rjtNGK3RLKSJRE&m=UnhFyxezaMjBXnocRNFLPNsJfdQiD_kdkxB63UuR_smh_PXnMnvZ2yu1tpcgStBk&s=UY2fVqfO6UijU-gow61ds5GtSFttp0CliTXUzOOviwA&e=>. This opportunity is for scholars who wish to spend 2022-2023 in residence in Cambridge, MA as part of the Center's vibrant community of research and practice, and who seek to engage in collaborative, cross-disciplinary, and cross-sectoral exploration of the Internet's most important issues.

Fellows will produce a project that contributes to public scholarship, and will contribute to the intellectual life at the Berkman Klein Center.  The program encourages and supports fellows in an inviting and playful intellectual environment with community activities designed to foster inquiry and risk-taking; to identify and expose common threads across fellows’ individual activities; and to bring fellows into conversation with the students, staff, faculty, and broader community.

We invite applications from scholars whose research advances Internet & society studies in the public interest. For the 2022-2023 year, topics we would be interested in having fellows explore include but are not limited to: Regulating and Implementing Ethical AI; Adapting Copyright Law to Support Teaching in a Pandemic and Post-Pandemic Environment; and Designing for Equitable Learning.

We offer fellowships that provide stipends of $72,000 plus $5,000 for personal or research expenses.  We also offer fellowships for people supported by external funding who will receive a stipend of $10,000 for living, travel, and research expenses.

The work and well-being of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society are profoundly strengthened by our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, ability, and more. We actively seek and welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds, including Black, Indigenous, Asian, Hispanic, and Latino/Latina/Latinx people; LGBTQIA+ people; non-binary people; women; people with disabilities; people at intersections of these identities; and people from and working across the spectrum of disciplines.

Learn about eligibility, opportunities & expectations, logistics, and more here: https://brk.mn/2223opencall<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__brk.mn_2223opencall&d=DwMFaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=yjMksIJ64SQQsuPODSvdlGrmGDdI0rjtNGK3RLKSJRE&m=UnhFyxezaMjBXnocRNFLPNsJfdQiD_kdkxB63UuR_smh_PXnMnvZ2yu1tpcgStBk&s=UY2fVqfO6UijU-gow61ds5GtSFttp0CliTXUzOOviwA&e=>

Applications will be accepted until Friday January 31, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time

--

Amy Johnson, PhD

Fellow, Language & Technology Lab, MIT

Affiliate, Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, Harvard

@shrapnelofme