[SIGCIS-Members] History of Computing/Technology podcasts?

Shreeharsh Kelkar shreeharsh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:03:16 PST 2022

Hi Ted, and all,

Thanks for the links to those podcasts. Some of the podcasts I've listened
to occasionally (and found quite good) on computing history are:

Brian McCullough's Internet history podcast:
http://www.internethistorypodcast.com/podcasts-by-chapter/. I don't think
he publishes it anymore but I've liked quite a few of the episodes (I
haven't listened to all of them by any means), especially some of the
interviews with practitioners (e.g. with the people who brought the NYT and
WSJ online).

Gabriella Coleman's The Hackers podcast.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m0012fjk

Land of the Giants (these are histories of the giant internet companies) is
a good series though it's about the last 20 years or so mostly.
https://www.vox.com/land-of-the-giants-podcast. They also had this one-off
season on the delivery economy which I found pretty good (and assigned as a
reading for my class).
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/delivery-wars/id1465767420?i=1000525523220

Some of the episodes/seasons of Command Line Heroes.
https://www.redhat.com/en/command-line-heroes

Last, but not the least, my own podcast (well, technically, these are my
lectures when I taught my course The Social Life of Computing
asynchronously in Spring 2021, but I tried to mimic the style of my
favorite narrated history podcasts):
https://soundcloud.com/user-118533348/sets/the-social-life-of-computing.
There's a lot of social history of computing in there if they're of any
use. https://soundcloud.com/user-118533348/sets/the-social-life-of-computing

Hope this is useful!
Best,
Shreeharsh