[SIGCIS-Members] Percy Ludgate and Konrad Zuse

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:38:19 PST 2022

On topic, it does seem that neither Hartree nor Turing were aware of Ludgate, even though they were very aware of the Babbage/Lovelace work.

Off topic, while I was checking the index of "Faster than Thought", I found a couple of references to Willem Klein, a mathematical prodigy, of the Mathematisch Centrum in Amsterdam at that time (ca 1952). I knew him as Wim Klein. CERN hired him away from Amsterdam as a computer (in the same year that they bought a Ferranti Mercury) and he stayed there until retirement. He did an annual lecture in which he would factorise and/or multiply very large numbers, play tricks with prime numbers, and so on. This was one of the high spots of the year. I actually visited his apartment (he lived alone) when it was for rent just prior to his retirement. He lived very simply with nothing much except a lot of books. He went back to Amsterdam in 1976, but things ended badly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Klein

Regards
    Brian Carpenter