[SIGCIS-Members] What algorithms are and are not

Subramanian, Ramesh Prof. Ramesh.Subramanian at quinnipiac.edu
Sat Oct 30 07:02:54 PDT 2021

Tom,
Thanks for that detailed comment on algorithms - what they are, and what they are not, and conversely, what can be considered an algorithm, and what cannot. Your explanations were very useful.

I just wanted to make two additional points. The first is that many machine learning algorithms these days have a stochastic component. That is, they make use of randomness while learning, and these are sometimes more effective than deterministic algorithms. Thus, the exact nature of the algorithm gets to be a bit fuzzy.

The second point is something that you fleetingly mentioned, but did not develop further, but is critical. That was your point about the training data. The law community (at least here at Yale) is increasingly focusing on the proprietary nature of the datasets that companies use in training their AI systems, and the legality and ethical issues emanating from these datasets (such as what private information is kept in the datasets, etc.).

And finally, I wanted to ask this question: If an equation has a stochastic component in it, can it then be considered as an algorithm?

Best regards,
-Ramesh