[SIGCIS-Members] Seeking book recommendations for teaching

Troy Astarte t.k.astarte at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Oct 22 13:27:06 PDT 2021

Dear SIG:CIS,

I have recently started a teaching role and have the opportunity to develop taught content from scratch. I want to include a significant influence from history of computing, history of technology, and STS—topics, approaches, methods. I’m looking for recommendations of books and other works to help in this: either for inclusion on reading lists, or to help me prepare more effective material. For example, I would be very grateful for a comprehensive and accessible book on the history of a particular technology, or a monograph on diversifying curricula. No suggestions are too obvious. Even if I already know them, others on-list may not.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Dr. Troy Kaighin Astarte (they/them)

Lecturer, Computer Science
Swansea University

For students: my office hours are Wednesday 1500–1700 and you can enter my personal Zoom room during that time.