[SIGCIS-Members] Book on Klára Dán von Neumann

Crystal Bennes crystal.bennes at northumbria.ac.uk
Fri Oct 22 08:46:13 PDT 2021

Hello SIGCIS,

Some of you may have come across this already via Twitter,  but I wanted to share my upcoming photobook project, Klara and the Bomb, in the event that it might be of interest to some. Through the lens of the life and work of Klara von Neumann, the book charts connecting threads between the invention of modern computers, the history of nuclear weapons development in the United States, women programmers,  military photography and nuclear colonialism. The book combines archival research and historical images with my own fieldwork photographs, texts and interviews.

The book will be published in May 2022, and I am currently fundraising remaining printing costs through book pre-sales. The book is £35 (including UK postage, postage outside the UK is extra) and is available for pre-order here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/632375787/klara-and-the-bomb

There are only 11 days remaining in the pre-order campaign, and I would be very grateful for any support from the SIGCIS community.

Very best wishes,
Crystal
Crystal Bennes
Artist & Writer
Cultural Negotiation of ScienceNorthumbria UniversityNewcastle upon Tyne, UK
+44(0)7480478205crystal.bennes at northumbria.ac.ukwebsite
twitterinstagram
Pre-order my forthcoming photobook, Klara and the Bomb