[SIGCIS-Members] Congratulations to Prof. Safiya Noble!

Mar Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Fri Oct 1 10:54:50 PDT 2021

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet on this list but I just wanted
to flag that Prof. Safiya Noble of UCLA--author of Algorithms of Oppression
and someone who has worked closely with and inspired many in the SIGCIS
community--was awarded a 2021 MacArthur Fellowship this past week!
https://www.macfound.org/fellows/class-of-2021/safiya-noble

Best,
Mar
______________________
Mar Hicks, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History of Technology
Humanities Department
Illinois Institute of Technology
marhicks.com

*Programmed Inequality
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/programmed-inequality>: How Britain
Discarded Women Technologists and Lost Its Edge in Computing *(MIT Press,
2017)
* Your Computer Is On Fire
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/your-computer-fire> * (MIT Press, 2021)
*For students: *Do you want to schedule an appointment to talk to me during
online office hours? Please use this link:
https://calendly.com/marhicks