[SIGCIS-Members] Teaching this spring

Koblentz, Evan evan.a.koblentz at njit.edu
Sat Nov 20 13:51:32 PST 2021

Hello SIGCIS,

Somehow I fell off the list back in September 2020. Thank you Andy R. and
Jason for resubscribing me.

In 2019, I resigned from Vintage Computer Federation (~15 years after
founding the predecessor organization) and started working at New Jersey
Institute of Technology as a science writer in the communications office,
where my primary assignment is the computer science department.

Thus I got to know the dean and the faculty, and asked them if I could
teach the history of computing. They said yes, so as of this spring I am
teaching my first college course, CS-485 / Special Topics: Introduction to
Computing History. I arranged it so there are no prerequisites, and
students do not have to be CS majors -- anyone at the university can take
this course.

There is a similar course in our history department catalog, but it has not
been offered since 2018, after which Elizabeth Petrick moved to Rice
University.

I'm looking at the syllabus repository at https://www.sigcis.org/syllabi
and working on my own version.

I know the material well enough, but I would like to hear advice about *
how * to teach and what type of assignments to give.

-Evan Koblentz

--
[image: NJIT logo] <https://www.njit.edu/> *Evan A Koblentz*
Staff Writer