[SIGCIS-Members] Current use of floppy disks

James A Hodges james.hodges at rutgers.edu
Fri Nov 5 08:08:22 PDT 2021

Perhaps also not what the journalist is looking to hear, but there are
still some vintage music production tools (ie samplers and synthesizers)
that use floppy disk storage. The Yamaha DX7 II FD synth and Akai s950
sampler are classic machines that still get used in studios today, and the
Roland SP-808 sampler even uses ancient 100mb Zip Disks for storage!
However, many of these machines, if they're still in use, have been updated
to use new forms of storage or data transfer in place of the old floppy
drives. This means that there is an interesting little cottage industry of
people working to enable such conversions via new software and hardware.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 6:28 AM McMillan, William W <
william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu> wrote:

> Interesting question, Martin!
>
> There are plenty of us who have old files on floppy disks. I have a
> USB-connected floppy drive handy to read these if and when I want to.
>
> Some old Boeing 747s still use floppies:
>
> https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a33612762/boeing-747-floppy-disk-updates/
>
> There are probably other dedicated real-time security and control systems
> in low-tech settings that still use floppies.
>
> Hobbyists and old-gear aficionados, including nostalgic gamers, still use
> them. (I have an old Windows 7 computer, with floppy drive, disconnected
> from the Internet, which I use just for computer programming.)
>
> Bill
>

> <https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a33612762/boeing-747-floppy-disk-updates/>
> Floppy Disks: Do They Still Work? | 747s Still Use Floppy Disks - Popular
> Mechanics
> <https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a33612762/boeing-747-floppy-disk-updates/>
> Some Boeing 747s still use 3.5-inch floppy disks to load updated
> navigational databases. That sounds crazy, but it isn't.
> www.popularmechanics.com
>

> ------------------------------

*JAMES A. HODGES, PH.D.*
Bullard Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The University of Texas at Austin
School of Information
http://www.jameshodges.net

Senior Book Reviews Editor
Information & Culture <https://infoculturejournal.org/>
Member, Committee on Publication Ethics <https://publicationethics.org/>
 (COPE)

Junior Fellow, Rare Book School
Mellon Society of Fellows in Critical Bibliography
<https://rarebookschool.org/admissions-awards/fellowships/sofcb/>