[SIGCIS-Members] REMINDER: SIGCIS 2021 // Proposals Due June 1

Laine Nooney laine.nooney at gmail.com
Tue May 25 09:53:59 PDT 2021

Just a friendly reminder to the SIGCIS community to get your abstracts and
proposals in by next Tuesday! -- SIGCIS Meetings Organizing Committee

SIGCIS 2021: ONLINE EDITION
September 23-25, 2021

The 12th Annual (Virtual!) Conference for the Special Interest Group for
Computing, Information, and Society

meetings.sigcis.org

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: DUE JUNE 1

SIGCIS 2021 is an open call for any and all work related to the history of
computing and information systems, broadly imagined. The SIGCIS community
is especially welcoming of new directions in research and creative
production, and encompasses academic professionals, museum and archive
professionals, IT practitioners, artists and creative technologists, and
independent researchers across the disciplinary spectrum. We maintain an
inclusive atmosphere for scholarly inquiry, promoting diversity in STEM and
supporting disciplinary interventions from beyond traditional history of
technology. We especially encourage submissions from those who have not
previously attended but wish to learn more about our community.

Traditionally, SIGCIS holds its annual conference on the Sunday immediately
following the annual conference for our parent organization, the Society
for the History of Technology. While SHOT is going forward with an
in-person meeting this fall, this year SIGCIS has elected to hold a virtual
meeting earlier in the fall. We believe this choice will help ensure
accessibility for our wide-ranging community, which includes many graduate
students, early career scholars, precarious workers, and international
scholars who may not be able to travel. Membership in SHOT is not required
to submit to or attend SIGCIS.

SIGCIS has always invited both traditional scholarship and alternative
forms of presentation and discussion. We encourage participants to think
creatively about what forms of engagement, presentation, and scholarship
will help us bridge the experience of the last year and what is to
come. Presentation
formats include, but aren’t limited to:

   -

   Individual presentations of scholarly work
   -

   Pre-constituted panels or roundtables of 3-4 scholars plus a
   moderator/respondent
   -

   Virtual performances or exhibitions
   -

   Skill-shares and tutorials
   -

   Social activities
   -

   Lightning talk sessions

VIRTUAL LOGISTICS AND ACCESSIBILITY

In order to make SIGCIS 2021 as accessible as possible within the means of
an all-volunteer organization, the following changes have been made to the
traditional SIGCIS Conference format:

   -

   This year’s SIGCIS conference will not be co-located or co-timed with
   our parent organization, SHOT, so as not to conflict with SHOT’s in-person
   conference
   -

   Our traditional one-day, 3-stream conference will be re-organized as a
   multi-day, single stream event
   -

   Time-zone sensitive scheduling
   -

   Sliding scale registration fees; membership in SHOT is not required

  SUBMISSION PROCEDURES

Submissions are due June 1, 2021 via Google form:
https://forms.gle/C8ixar9s3JsCXq8d9.

Submissions require:

   -

   300-350 word abstract, summary, or prospectus (as appropriate for the
   submission type). Full panel proposals should additionally include 200-250
   word abstracts for each paper that will be part of the panel.
   -

   100-150 word bios for each participant

If you are submitting a co-presented paper, pre-constituted panel, or other
submission involving multiple participants, please only have one person
submit for the group; contact and professional information for other
participants can be included in the Bio submission section.

Questions about the submission process should be sent to:
xiaochang.li at stanford.edu.

SIGCIS MEETINGS ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Laine Nooney, New York University (SIGCIS Vice-Chair of Meetings)
Morgan Ames, University of California, Berkeley
Stephanie Dick, University of Pennsylvania
Xiaochang Li, Stanford University