[SIGCIS-Members] Daniel Kaminsky obit

Brian Berg brianberg at gmail.com
Sat May 1 09:07:37 PDT 2021

Yes, I heard about DanKam's passing, and then read this excellent *NY
Times* obit.
Yesterday's *San Francisco Chronicle* had a story as well that included
some more personal info and some truly endearing perspectives I had not
seen elsewhere re: Dan's moral compass - see attached.

Dan was on the organizing committee of an annual gathering that originated
with the start of the personal computer revolution in 1975: the Asilomar
Microcomputer Workshop - www.amw.org  We just had our annual event
(virtually of course) and Dan's passing rested particularly heavy on the
heads of a number of our attendees.  He was on our organizing committee
from 2011-2015, and one of his talks was about testifying in front of
Congress in 2012 about internet security.  You can find entries for his
extensive involvement during these years here
<http://amw.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/AMW1975-2019.pdf>.

A number of the attendees recounted his kindness and lack of any ego when
he attended numerous security-related conferences and gatherings, including
Paul Vixie who is included in the *NY Times* story.  I recall the large
entourage that always accompanied "DanKam" - as well as his sly smile.  I
shall miss that guy, and now I am incredibly respectful of his ethical
backbone.
_________________________
Brian A. Berg / bberg at StanfordAlumni.org
Berg Software Design - LinkedIn Profile
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianaberg/>
14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F, Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
700 Mistletoe Road, Suite 201, Ashland, OR 97520 USA
Voice: 408.741.5010 / Cell: 408.568.2505
Consulting: Flash Memory/USB/Storage/Patents
visit the Storage Cornucopia: www.bswd.com
FMS Technical Chair: www.FlashMemorySummit.com
IEEE Milestone
<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:List_of_IEEE_Milestones>
Coordinator & History Chair for Region 6 <http://www.ieee-region6.org/>
IEEE History Committee
<https://www.ieee.org/about/history-center/history-committee.html> Member
IEEE SCV Section <http://www.ieee.org/scv/> Past Chair / IEEE-CNSV
<http://www.CaliforniaConsultants.org> Board Director
IEEE Silicon Valley Tech History Committee
<http://www.SiliconValleyHistory.com/> Chair