[SIGCIS-Members] Book Reviews! @IEEE Annals of the History of Computing

Theodora Dryer tjdryer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:34:38 PDT 2021

Dear SIGCIS Community,

I hope everyone is doing okay.

My name is Dr. Theodora Dryer, I am the reviews editor at IEEE Annals of
the History of Computing.

I’m looking forward this year to growing more vibrant conversations on
recent literature in the history of computing.

Book reviews allow us to generate discussion across fields and specialties,
and to reflect on the broader political impact of our work and our
pedagogical approaches. Book reviews are also opportunities to acknowledge
the vast amount of time and labor, and creativity authors put in to bring
these histories to fruition.

Beyond books, there is space and opportunity in the Journal to review art
and technology, archives, and other media related to the history of
computing. The review’s department is open for proposals on new content and
approaches for review.

I’m currently soliciting reviews for the books below and many more. Please
email me at theodora.dryer at nyu.edu with your interest and thoughts 💭.

Alvy Ray Smith, *A Biography of the Pixel *@MIT Press

Precarity Lab, *Technoprecarious *@MIT Press

Jacob Gaboury, *Image Objects: An Archaeology of Computer Graphics *@MIT
Press

Charlton McIlwain, *Black Software: The Internet and Racial Justice, from
the AfroNet to Black Lives Matter *@Oxford University Press

Andrew L. Russell and Lee Vinsel, *The Innovation Delusion: How Our
Obsession with the New Has Disrupted the Work That Matters Most *@Currency

Ruha Benjamin, *Race After Technology: Abolitionist Tools for the New Jim
Code *@Polity

James Cortada, *Building Blocks of Society: History, Information,
Ecosystems, and Infrastructures *@Rowman & Littlefield

Yarden Katz, *Artificial Whiteness: Politics and Ideology in Artificial
Intelligence *@Columbia University Press

--
Dr. Theodora Dryer
(she / her / hers)