[SIGCIS-Members] SIGCIS seeks a Vice-Chair of Finance

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Mon Mar 15 06:35:10 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues -

SIGCIS is currently seeking volunteers to serve as the Vice-Chair of Finance. For those who may be new to the organization, SIGCIS leadership is held by the Executive Committee. The Exec is comprised of three Vice-Chair positions: Meetings (Laine Nooney), Communications (Elizabeth Petrick), and Finance (tbd), which are overseen by the SIGCIS Chair (currently co-chairs, Andy Russell and Melanie Swalwell).

Opportunity
As SIGCIS has grown as an organization, and its annual meeting become more formalized, there is a greater need than ever for management of our long-term financial planning, and the coordination of annual fundraising. SIGCIS does currently have a fairly stable financial foundation, thanks to past fundraising efforts and endowments for the Computer History Museum Prize and the Mahoney Prize. But we believe our fundraising activities could be expanded and honed in new directions.

Areas of Responsibility
⦁ overseesing/monitoring SIGCIS accounts, including managing communication with SHOT about financial matters
⦁ establishing and/or updating guidelines related to the use of endowment revenue
⦁ initiating an effective annual fundraising campaign that can be used to support travel grants, conference honoraria, and other SIGCIS initiatives

The Vice-Chair of Finance will be invited to recruit a small team of support volunteers to assist them in their tasks.

Eligibility and Desired Skills
Since SIGCIS has no formal membership criteria, anyone is welcome to apply, though there is a preference for someone who has some exposure to the SIGCIS community, ideally having attended the annual conference within the last five years. There is no specific academic rank expected, nor is it required that the candidate hold a formal academic position. Graduate students are not prohibited from applying, but we do ask them to consider the time commitment involved in such a position. Background in any kind of fundraising is a plus, and there is a general expectation of strong attention to detail, as well as an ability to delegate, collaborate, and self-manage.

Potential volunteers should send along a brief statement that speaks to your experience and interest; a link to a website or short resume/CV is also helpful. Please send materials - or any questions you might have - to both Andy Russell (arussell at arussell.org) and Melanie Swalwell (mswalwell at swin.edu.au), ideally by April 5, 2021.

Thank you!

The SIGCIS Executive Committee