[SIGCIS-Members] Material and embodied practices of people doing mathematics, symbolic logic, and calculation

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 07:12:39 PST 2021

This (by a colleague) is brilliant on embodied scientific practices in the
18th century and their discursive representation:

https://www.sup.org/books/title/?id=29606

Tita Chico, *The Experimental Imagination: Literary Knowledge and Science
in the British Enlightenment*

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM Sam Kellogg <samkellogg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> I highly recommend Juliette Kennedy's work on mathematical drawing on this
> point—this essay in particular discusses drafting, scratch notes, drawing
> at the blackboard, etc.
>
> Kennedy, Juliette. “Notes on the Syntax and Semantics Distinction, or
> Three Moments in the Life of the Mathematical Drawing.” In What Is a
> Mathematical Concept?, edited by Alf Coles, Elizabeth de Freitas, and
> Nathalie Sinclair, 55–75. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2017.
> https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/what-is-a-mathematical-concept/notes-on-the-syntax-and-semantics-distinction-or-three-moments-in-the-life-of-the-mathematical-drawing/95FC242F34EBC88DC3D6749A2E4A6F31
> .
>
> Best,
> Sam
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 8:46 AM David C. Brock <dcb at dcbrock.net> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I’m wondering if you could point me to some references that treat the
>> material and embodied practices — like writing, reading, publishing,
>> lecturing — of people doing mathematics, symbolic logic, and calculation.
>>
>> I’m interested particularly in the era *before* the widespread use of
>> electronic computers.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> David
>> +++++++++++++++
>> David C. Brock
>> dcb at dcbrock.net
>> 40 Russell Street, Greenfield, MA 01301
>> Mobile: 413-522-3578
>> Skype: dcbrock
>> Twitter: @dcbrock
>> Pronouns: he, him, his

> --
> Sam P. Kellogg
> he/him // MCC, NYU <http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/mcc/> // samkellogg.com

Matthew Kirschenbaum
Professor of English and Digital Studies
Director, Graduate Certificate in Digital Studies
Printer's Devil, BookLab
University of Maryland
mgk at umd.edu