[SIGCIS-Members] 4pm Mon 1 March PST & 4 more Mondays: Next Generation Disaster Governance

Sharon Traweek traweek at history.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 1 13:09:00 PST 2021

 Apologies from Sharon Traweek, UCLA, for cross-posting about this symposium and the ongoing, growing project in which I have been engaged a long time. Our transdisciplinary and transnational collaborators include engineers, computer scientists, physicists, policy makers, historians, anthropologists, sociologists, clinicians, etc. This symposium will provide an introduction to our work.

4pm Monday 1 March PST: a webinar by UC Irvine Prof. Kim Fortun​ on ​From Bhopal to Fukushima and Next Generation Disaster Governance​ ​https://www.international.ucla.edu/japan/event/14824 will launch the Envisioning Next Generation Radiation Governance Symposium​, posing questions and laying groundwork for the 4 panel discussions to follow on subsequent Mondays in March. [See attachment for more information and registration links.]

     The four panels will explore the archiving, regulation, and education needed to support radiation governance in the future, in a wide array of places. The tenth anniversary of the Fukushima nuclear reactor failure calls for reflection on past and future radiation governance, recognized as a transnational, transdisciplinary, and transgenerational challenge and responsibility. ...

     This symposium extends from and supports the on-going work of the Radiation Governance Working Group, building a transnational community-of-practice, body of research, and teaching materials focused on radiation governance. We investigate how those with different kinds of expertise about radiation (nuclear scientists and engineers, policy makers, affected community members, regulators, facility administrators, clinicians, social science researchers, educators, et al.) can construct among themselves ways of sharing their knowledge and working together to build effective governance. We also want to help build new capacity for radiation governance through ... [see the attachment for more information and links to our working group platform].